Wednesday, September 9, 2015

13.1 Miles is Not a Distance - It's an Accomplishment

So...On Saturday, I will be running my 3rd half marathon in 6 months. For some that sounds crazy.  For me, it started with a desire to do a half marathon.  So I signed up for one.  Then my friend gave me a coupon for the Publix half marathon in Atlanta which was occurring 3 weeks before the one I had originally signed up for.  So I ran that one as my first one.  Then I ran the Biggest Loser Run/Walk in Mobile, AL.  Now I'm getting ready to run the Diva half in Peachtree City.  I do have some tips for those getting ready for their first half.  In NO way am I an expert in halfs, but perhaps you can learn from my mistakes.

Image result for running picture

1) Check the weather.  It poured during the Publix half marathon.  Thankfully I was prepared for it.  Running 13.1 miles can be mentally exhausting.  It can be even more mentally daunting if you are unprepared for a downpour.  That being said, throw in a couple of rain training runs if you can, it's like a workout and a bath at the same time and if it rains on race day you won't be shocked that your shoes have become all sloshy.

Image result for running in the rain

2) Bring some wet cloths, like baby naps or Kleenex hand and face wipes.  These are so helpful after the race when you just want to feel clean.  They are also really helpful for the washroom...and they will run out of toilet paper.

3) Plan your nutrition and practice it.  This will help the tummy problems that often plague runners.  Don't try anything new, this might find you running for the porta-potties and preventing a PR.

4) Read the signs and posters. Take some time and read the signs that people make.  Sometimes I pretend that the "Go Bridgette, you are amazing" is aimed at me.  This helps me stay focused on the run and how amazing I really am to take this on...even when I am walking.

Image result for running signs

5) Don't be afraid to walk.  Some people get injured because they run too much on the course and then crash on mile 10.  Don't bonk out by not watching your pace.  If you are used to walking every 2 miles, then walk every 2 miles.  You won't be the only one.

6) Check out the course.  This can be mentally helpful to know that the Juniper St. hill on the Publix course is daunting and extremely difficult.  It does not help if it comes as a surprise.  And practice runs should match that elevation so you don't end up blowing out a calf muscle or tearing a hammy.

Image result for running up hill

7)  Embrace the theme runs.  Especially for long distances.  Wear the tutu, Run through colours.  Paint yourself.  Run in a costume.  Embrace the theme.  This will help the run go faster as you begin to have fun and perhaps you'll forget that you still have 12 miles to go.

Image result for theme runs

8) Don't try anything new...or maybe you should!  IronWoman Meredith Atwood suggests to  never try anything new on race day.  However, IronMan Andy Potts suggests "how will you know if it works" if you don't try?  My advice - stick to what you know, especially where clothing and shoes are concerned.  You may get away with new nutrition habits on race day "oh, they have coke at this aid station, I'll just have a quick sip" but stick to comfortable, tried and tested clothing.

9)  Get there early!  Arrive to race day early.  You will feel so much anxiety on race day. Don't add to it by rushing to find gear check, parking, corrals, friends, etc.  Plus you can never truly account for the traffic.  You don't want to be stuck behind an 18 wheeler on the highway when the clock ticks past the 7:30am start time.

10) Embrace the suck.  What?  Seriously, embrace the suck.  13.1 miles is long and tough.  Every runner on that course will feel the suck at one point.  What separates the elites from the newbies is how they deal with it. On the Publix run I was hurting as I tried to run up those nasty hills and I passed a girl crying.  No, I didn't stop because I knew why she was crying and I couldn't help her.  She had not embraced the fact that parts of the run are going to be dreadful.  Your legs will hurt, your lungs will burn, you'll ache and feel sleepy, but you embrace the suck and keep moving forward.  The suck will eventually pass and you'll feel good again but don't let a few minutes of suck destroy your whole run.  13.1 miles is a HUGE accomplishment.  Enjoy as much of it as you can and embrace the suck.

Image result for struggling runners

In the end, runners and walkers, elites and newbies, girls in spandex and tutus, at the end of the race, take a moment to really feel the elation that comes with finishing.  Wear that medal home and actually, wear it most of the day.  You earned it.  You deserve it.  13.1 miles is not easy, but you are amazing, you are strong, and you are a half marathoner.  

Image result for half marathon finish women

No comments:

Post a Comment