Friday, August 14, 2015

Kiefer Swim Bag Review

So up until now I've been using this tired, tragic old swim bag that my friend gave me.  It was bright yellow and had "fueled by coffee" on the front.  I would use this bag to tote my swim stuff to and from work and to and from the pool.  And it was just fine by me!  I am not one to spend money.  Some say I am thrifty, but some say I'm cheap.  So I am not likely to spend money on something if I have a perfectly good alternative.  I acquired this bag from a friend.  Her boyfriend, whose last name was 'Coffee' gave it to her and thought he was being hilarious.  They broke up, I got the bag.  My swim stuff fit in it just fine so why need another?


Because I brought it to school and one of my students said to me "Miss, that bag is slick tired looking, is that the best one you've got?"  Well...no, I did have other bags but I used this one because it was bright yellow (and if someone ran off with it I could see them for miles), it was free (so I wouldn't actually mind if someone did run off with it...if they just dumped my stuff from it first), and it was completely usable.  But my student was right, I do swim a lot, I am going to Augusta in a few weeks for the Ironman (although 'fueled by coffee' was with me last year), and it's ok to spend money sometimes.


So I went on Active Gear Up which is a site that I love love love to use.  And I found the Kiefer swim bag on sale for $19.00.  So I did some research and really fell in love with it.  Adolf Kiefer was a WWII veteran and Olympian.  He also invented the kickboard, which we know we all use, as well as the nylon swim suit.  Seriously, this is THE guy to design a swim bag right?


Totally right


As soon as I opened the box that contained my new bag I fell in love.  There are lots of different colours from black to pink to red to grey to navy blue.  I opted for the navy blue one.  It was a change from the bright yellow bag I had previously.  The first thing I noticed was how big it was...but not in a bad way.  In a "this will totally carry my stuff without junk falling out" kind of way.  There is a big zipper at the top that allows for quick access to your gear, you can open it up and see everything you need quickly.  The next thing I noticed was all the amazing pockets.  Both zip pockets, elastic top pockets, mesh pockets, pockets with a spot for your ear buds to poke out, water resistant pockets, etc.  It is SO nice to have different pockets for things.  I have now a mesh bag for my goggles and cap so they can dry, one for my hair products, one for my plastic baggies that all swimmers should have, and even ones for my watch and other things we don't swim in.  There is even a pocket on the bottom to store your wet swimsuit so it doesn't drench your other stuff.  I'll have to remember to try that out as I usually wrap my suit in my towels.  Plus - there is a little key ring to put your keys on it so they don't get lost in the bottom of your bag...genius!


The handle is also amazing.  It looks sturdy and will totally be able to withstand my yanks and pulls.  The straps look a little less padded than I expected.  I would think that such a large bag would have more padding in it.  Now I say that but I actually haven't loaded it down yet with my stuff to judge the effectiveness of the padding. 


So...so far I am in love with my new bag and can't wait to bring it to Augusta.  I am going to really be part of the triathlon crew with my updated gear, I wonder what I'll do with 'fueled by coffee', maybe it is time to just retire it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment