Friday, July 24, 2015

Chafing...Embarassing...but Treatable

No one likes chafing.  Even worse, no one really likes talking about chafing since it can often occur in undesirable places.  For me, it is on my thighs.

My body type is such that my hips and thighs don't quit.  I've tried to lose weight there (seriously, miles with Broken Pelvis - my biking partner - on our road bikes, miles more running, swimming, yoga...you name it but they still won't quit).  So when I do run it tends to chafe between the thighs.  Fabric rubbing on skin, skin rubbing on skin - it doesn't really matter.  After a long run I can almost guarantee chafing.

Using Vaseline before a run helps a lot.  It helps everything glide and it is pretty cheap and plentiful to come by.  If you are not using this on your chafing regions...why the heck not?

However, last week after a long run WITHOUT Vaseline (ok - don't judge me.  I know I just said it was necessary and then forgot to use it one day.  That's how I know it is necessary).  I had serious chafing and it really hurt.  Then I had to shower and go to the doctor for an annual exam.  Well, she saw it.  I became embarrassed because I know better but then she recommended something that I'd like to pass on to you - my readers (heh heh - like I have any right...hello?  Are you actually out there?)

She gave me Monistat 1 day treatment.  She said it is a gloopy, gloppy cream that is to treat yeast infections but can treat chafing too.  Skeptical, but also in pain, I thought I'd try it.  I used it right before bed and woke up with it remarkably better.  The rest of the following day I alternated between the yeast cream and Gold Bond cream.  And it certainly works for me.

For those boys out there, I've also heard that Lotrimin is also great for chafing.  It can be embarrassing I am sure for guys to buy yeast cream.  Although it may not be an amazing experience to buy jock itch cream either but I am sure you'd get over it if the chafing was bad enough.

Here is a link for good home remedies for chafing. 

So if you have a chafing remedy or prevention technique, why not share it in the comments section.  Chafing is embarrassing, painful, but preventable and treatable.  Do you have something that works for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment